Wednesday, August 1, 2007

What a way to bring me back...

I'm sorry I've been gone so long- this has been a busy summer! I promise to blog soon (tomorrow) about all that's going on in my life, but, please, pray from my city and those therein.

I'm sure by now you've heard of the bridge collapse on 35W. Currently, the city is in shock, and minor chaos. Night has fallen, so that brings an erie calm to things as it's harder to see the rescue workers pulling out cars and, sadly, bodies. They're telling us to stay off our cell phones (which is hard when people want to check on you and you them), they've called most fire/police departments in the surrounding suburbs in to help. Internet service is slow as well.

35 is a MAJOR highway here and the re-routing will be hard and congested for a long time to come. The thought that that piece of roadway is no longer there is unbelievable to me.

But, more than that, is that many people -they're currently reporting 6- have died (and many more are injured). I assume that number will rise as they see the scope of who fell into the Mississippi and drowned. I cannot imagine what they and their families are going through, so, please pray for them and my city as we go through this.

On a personal note, I am fine and so is everyone I know. I work about 2 miles from there at a large Christian non-profit and am praying that everyone with work with and for is safe. I was about 3 miles from the bridge collapse when it happened eating dinner with co-workers. Thankfully, I do not travel that route too often (way too congested usually), and had no need today to go that way. I am back at home now (about 12 miles from the scene of the accident) so I am definitely safe.

I will update as/if needed of more prayer requests.

No comments: